Thursday, June 1, 2017

Gaslighting


It's been a while since I posted last time. Of course I've been reading, but nothing blew me away like the beta-read of the third part of Will Patching's Remorseless Trilogy.

I had been waiting impatiently for this one. But knowing that Will's a perfectionist and truly one of the best writers I've had the pleasure reading, it was worth waiting for:

Suspense glueing me to the pages, heart beating faster than normal, empathizing with the characters, fearing for them - I knew there wouldn't be an easy happy ending. Will doesn't spare his flawed heroes.

.


I had no idea what Gaslighting means before reading this book. The novel includes perfectly both meanings: manipulation and emotional abuse as well as arson using a Molotov cocktail to ignite a flammable compound.
As in Remorseless and Multilated Will's villain is a psychopath of the worst kind, cruel, selfish, insensitive, frighteningly intelligent, cold and heartless - although he's just a 16-year-old kid.
That, of course, arouses the question: Is he born as a psychopath, is it in his DNA? Or did he become like this because of the traumatic experiences told in Remorseless? Nature vs. nurture. In this case both come together and the result is devastating.

Why do I love the thrill of his books? It's not that I like to see with my inner eyes all the cruelty he's conjuring, sometimes I'm glad it's not a movie, but I love that his characters are real and three-dimensional who think, act and speak like real persons.

Gaslighting will be launched at the end of June - but read Remorseless first, the kindle version is currently free on amazon!




No comments:

Post a Comment